The Amazing Animals Reading Group (grades 1-2)
This six week program focuses on decoding strategies, which encourages reading fluency and builds confident readers. It is ideal for all children beginning to read who could benefit from extra practice , and or require more support . Each week is one hour in length, and features a different reading strategy.
(Examples include : chunking, sounding out, identifying long/short vowel sounds, using pictures as clues, skipping a word, and using the whole sentence.)
Each strategy is taught and reinforced by incorporating small group instruction and includes interactive centers, animal characters, visuals,
and sometimes even singing! This is a fun , relaxed environment allowing children to strengthen their reading skills and make new friends!
Minimum 4 students required for this reading group.
Reading can be fun!
Join us for a fun, interactive reading group! Kids can practice reading out loud in a small group setting, or just relax and enjoy a good book! This group is designed to foster a love for reading, as well as provide opportunities to strengthen reading skills. Reading out loud, or follow along silently; both help to develop reading fluency skills. Different activities such as crafts, games and creative reading responses will follow reading; encouraging stronger reading comprehension. Make new friends, read a new book and have fun!
Reading is important!
What are some of the benefits of a children's reading club?
- Encourages reading decoding, fluency and comprehension techniques
- Offers opportunities for guided reading in a small group setting
- Encourages creativity and imagination
- Facilitates higher - order thinking skills, such as analyzing and evaluating stories
- Provides opportunities to explore new genres, ideas and interests
- Fosters a love for reading and life long learning
- Facilitates a social, interactive environment with opportunities to make new friends
- Engages reluctant readers, and builds confidence in reading
Dates, Times and Prices:
Grades 1-2 TBA
Grades 3-4 TBA
We are in the process of working on a Covid 19
plan for small groups of students!
- Decoding skills
- Sight Words
- Understanding what is read
- Inferencing, drawing conclusions
- Realting reading to personal experiences